News | August 29
Helping with Hurricane Harvey
As Hurricane Harvey continues its devastating path through Texas and the Gulf Coast, we encourage Life Science Cares’ friends and colleagues to consider donating to organizations supporting rescue and recovery work on the ground.
Thank you to our colleagues at The Boston Foundation for a list of organizations working in Texas now.
- Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner has established the Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund that will accept tax deductible flood relief donations for victims that have been affected by the recent floods. The fund will be housed at the Greater Houston Community Foundation.
- All Hands Volunteers’ response team has reached Texas and is currently in a staging position in San Antonio. This organization’s work is the essential next step after the life-saving work of emergency responders winds down.
- American Red Cross has deployed several hundred disaster workers to Texas and is actively managing numerous shelters for those displaced by the hurricane and associated flooding. The Red Cross is also working to pre-position supplies ahead of expected regional flooding in Texas.
- HealthCare Ready has activated RX Open and is working with government agencies in the region to meet current and anticipated health needs.
- Save the Children is working to distribute child-specific supplies to children and families in San Antonio and Victoria, and will be establishing child-friendly spaces in shelters. Longer term goals include the restoration of child-care and education services, psychosocial support, and hosting children’s coordination working groups in affected areas.