News | December 5
HIRING: Director of Development (Full time)
Seize the opportunity to join a fast-growing nonprofit organization harnessing the life science industry’s resources to fight poverty. Life Science Cares is hiring in our first development role in order to build on the roadmap for growth laid out in our strategic plan and endorsed by our Board of Directors.
Life Science Cares is a collective effort of the life science industry to eliminate the impact of poverty on our neighbors in the greater Boston area. We connect the industry’s human and financial resources to the most efficient and effective service organizations in greater Boston working in three areas: basic human survival, education and economic sustainability. We currently work with nearly 300 companies and industry executives and 19 partner organizations but are on a trajectory to grow our work significantly in 2019.
We’re looking for someone to create and execute an operational plan to meet fundraising goals, develop strategies and plans for a portfolio or donors and prospects, and support the Executive Director and Board of Directors to cultivate, solicit and steward donors. The right candidate is strategic and able to operationalize multi-faceted plans, committed to consistently learning and growing, big-picture oriented but obsessive about the details.
We’re looking for someone high-energy who represents the values of the life science industry and the partner organizations we serve. This position is full-time.
The ideal candidate for this key position will be a self-starter, comfortable with managing his/her own work schedule while collaborating closely with the Executive Director. He/she must be experienced working in fast-paced environments and juggling multiple projects at one time. The candidate will be an excellent project manager with strong attention to details, event logistics and deadlines. Knowledge of the life science industry or relationships with senior industry leaders is a plus.
Development Strategy and Planning
- Create and implement individual donor strategies for LSC’s various constituencies (senior leaders, industry employees, etc.)
- With guidance from LSC leadership, build and maintain an effective donor engagement program that reflects a strong balance of engagement, cultivation & stewardship
- Perform prospect research on prospective individual and institutional donors, and work with LSC leadership to identify potential members of the Board of Advisors and Board of Directors
- Create compelling fundraising communications about LSC’s vision, priorities and goals, including tailored pitches, donor packets, written appeals, renewal notices, reports, proposals and event invitations
- Leverage systems and design processes that ensure accurate and timely internal and external reporting.
Operations & Administration
- Maintain relevant data in the organizations CRM system
- Support Board Development Committee and serve as staff lead to the Council of Champions Events Committee
- Work with the LSC staff & Board of Directors to plan LSC signature events (Impact Breakfast, Mini Golf for Good Tournament, LSC Battles)
- Represent LSC at relevant events and engage in public issues that help increase visibility around LSC and our mission.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of fundraising and/or development experience, with a track record of designing & implementing best practice fundraising initiatives and programs
- Knowledge of development best practices and the ability to apply them in innovative ways
- Proven ability to motivate, engage and work collaboratively at all levels with prospects, donors, volunteers, leadership and senior executive at LSC companies and other organizations
- Proven capabilities in donor communications, including the ability to successfully solicit gifts and expand overall donor giving.
- Polished and authentic presence, exceptional communication & interpersonal skills
- Effective organizational skills.
Compensation & Benefits
Life Science Cares offers the full package – great benefits, a fun place to work and an opportunity to grow professionally. We offer:
- Competitive nonprofit salary commensurate with experience. This is a full-time exempt position that reports to the Executive Director in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, and 401(k) with employer match.
- Generous paid time off and flexible work schedules.
To apply for this position, please send a resume and cover letter with salary expectations to Sarah MacDonald at email@example.com.